In a search for the most efficient electric heaters, we took all models out and compared them side by side. Finally, after several in-depth testing and assessing objectively key metrics, we assign each a score. Here is the result:
Here are the most efficient electric heaters you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: Lasko 751320
- Best For Bedroom: Dyson (61874-01) Hot + Cool Jet Focus AM09 Fan Heater
- Best For Living Room: Lasko 6405 Designer Oscillating Heater
- Best For Small Space: Homeleader 1500W Oil Heater, Portable Space Heater
- Best For Large Rooms: LIFE SMART 6 Element Infrared Heater
- Best Wall Mount Heater: De'Longhi Mica Thermic Panel Heater HMP1500
|Top 6 Most Efficient Electric Heaters|
|Lasko 751320||Read Our Review|
Best For Bedroom
|Dyson (61874-01) Hot + Cool Jet Focus AM09 Fan Heater||Read Our Review|
Best For Living Room
|Lasko 6405 Designer Oscillating Heater||Read Our Review|
Best For Small Space
|Homeleader 1500W Oil Heater, Portable Space Heater||Read Our Review|
Best For Large Rooms
|LIFE SMART 6 Element Infrared Heater||Read Our Review|
Best Wall Mount Heater
|De'Longhi Mica Thermic Panel Heater HMP1500||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: Lasko 751320
- Safety – stay-cool exterior & automatic overheat protection
- Full of control – provide remote control, a built-in timer, and an LED display
- High maneuverability – compact and lightweight
- Don’t auto-shutoff if tipped over
We’d like to start this review list with the Lasko 751320 – a small yet mighty electric heater with exceptional maneuverability to be easily moved from room-to-room.
It has everything we need for a good heater, including penetrating air velocity, elongated ceramic element, and a built-in timer. You can adjust these functions from distance through a provided remote control.
We appreciate the exterior shell material of this device which keeps cool to the touch. Besides, it will automatically shut off for safety if left on for too long.
With 1500W of heating power and widespread oscillation, it is efficient to heat a 250-squat-foot room.
|Lasko 751320 Specifications|
7.4 x 8.7 x 23.5 inches
Automatic overheat protection
Self-regulating ceramic element
Built-in timer and wireless remote control
For a compact yet powerful and full of control electric heater, we’re fans of this one.
Best For Bedroom: Dyson (61874-01) Hot + Cool Jet Focus AM09 Fan Heater
- Extremely safe and dependable – no heating elements exposed & auto-shutoff if tipped over
- High energy efficiency – intelligent thermostat
- Cool down/heat up fast – patented air multiplier technology
- Wish the cooling function was better
Next up is a fancy electric heater from Dyson.
What we like the most about this model is its highly safe construction with no exposed heating elements, which means for no fast spinning blades or burning smell to worry about. It is one of the most dependable heaters out there, especially for kids and pets.
If accidentally fallen to the sides, it will turn off automatically for safety. And as emitting no gas or toxins, it’s reliable to be used in bedrooms as well.
Another remarkable feature is its smart thermometer which can reach the set temperature pretty fast and maintain it efficiently. With this useful function, there’ll be no energy wasted.
|Dyson (61874-01) Hot + Cool Jet Focus AM09 Fan Heater Specifications|
8 x 6 x 23.4 inches
33 to 99 degree precision.
Has no exposed heating elements
Patented Air Multiplier technology
Specifically designed to hide all heating elements whereas equip with more safety features, the Dyson (61874-01) Hot + Cool Jet Focus AM09 Fan Heater is perfect for bedrooms.
Best For Living Room: Lasko 6405 Designer Oscillating Heater
- Reliable and dependable - ETL listed & automatic shut-off timer
- Customizable and controllable - thermostat-controlled mode, 2 heat settings, optional widespread oscillation, and an adjustable timer
- Beautiful and easy to blend with any existing space - uniquely designed, decorative outlook
- No remote controller
- Can’t choose an individual setting like 67 degrees
While paying attention to the performance and safety, we believe some people prefer a model with good looking, especially when it’s placed in the living room. For them, we greatly recommend the Lasko 6405.
This model is very compact and looks like a vintage floor vase with a retro-styled base to beautifully blend into your living room décor.
Regardless, this little bad boy packs a punch. It features thermostat-controlled mode, 2 heat settings, optional widespread oscillation, and an adjustable timer.
For safety, it is equipped with automatic overheat protection and a self-regulating ceramic element. Another bonus is it comes full assembly that you can use right out of the box.
|Lasko 6405 Designer Oscillating Heater Specifications|
10" x 10" x 16" tall.
Automatic shut-off timer
Giving a perfect blend of beauty and functionality, the Lasko 6405 is our top-rated option for the living room.
Best For Small Space: Homeleader 1500W Oil Heater, Portable Space Heater
- Require no refilling – permanently sealed oil reservoir
- More customizable – adjustable thermostat, 3 heat settings, and multiple smart functions
- Unclear manual and instructions
Thanks to the smart adjustable thermostat, this oil filled radiant heater can maintain a nice steady heat to keep the space warm all the time. As a result, it doesn’t hike up the electricity bills as other electric heaters would do.
There are several similarities to the Lasko 751320 above, such as the 1500W power input, the silent operation, and the durable stainless-steel exterior.
It is also designed for small rooms as well. The biggest difference is this heater features 3 heat settings and multiple smart functions for ease of use.
Besides, it has a permanently sealed oil reservoir to require no refilling, which is very effortless and user-friendly.
|Homeleader 1500W Oil Heater, Portable Space Heater Specifications|
15 x 5 x 25 inches
Multiple smart functions
Permanently sealed oil reservoir
Three heating settings
If you’re searching for the most efficient electric heater for small rooms, pick this.
Best For Large Rooms: LIFE SMART 6 Element Infrared Heater
- Reliable and high-quality - Lifetime Air Filter and made in the USA
- Powerful yet quiet – 1500W of power and quiet scroll fan
- Easy to control - Digital Thermostat with Remote & 12-hour Dual Timer settings
- Not cause your skin to dry - Maintain the current humidity in the room
- Not include batteries
- Make noise when adjusting the temperature
The LIFE SMART 6 Element Infrared Heater gives you three heat settings, including the 500W- 1706 BTU, the 1000W- 3412 BTU, and the 1500W- 5118 BTU.
It is a powerful electric heater that can offer enough warmth for a large room. But contrasting to its mighty performance, the device itself runs quietly to not disturb you or other family members.
The biggest selling point is it’s full of controls, including a remote controller, 12-hour Dual Timer settings, and Digital Thermostat. Instead of heating the air, it uses infrared light wavelengths to target objects and people to hence retain the current humidity in the room.
That means after a day of using this device, your skin won’t be bone dried and feel itchy.
|LIFE SMART 6 Element Infrared Heater Specifications|
16 x 13 x 16.5 inches
Lifetime Air Filter
Quiet Scroll Fan
Digital Thermostat with Remote
This powerful electric heater is optimal for large rooms where you not only require more heat to warm up space but also want the device itself to be functional and convenient to use.
Best Wall Mount Heater: De'Longhi Mica Thermic Panel Heater HMP1500
- Flexible – can work as a floor or wall-mounted electric heater
- High maneuverability – provide wheels and handles
- Sleek and stylish
- The markings on the dials are very hard to read
Another great electric heater option for large rooms but this one is wall-mounted design. But don’t fret, it includes a full assembly kit in the package for simple installation.
It’s also designed to work as a floor heater as well. Its slim-profile design combining with the provided wheels and handle enhances the device maneuverability to easily move from room-to-room.
Whichever style you choose to use it; we believe the sleek look will surely add a nice accent to your room.
What truly makes it outstanding from other counterparts is decent heating power and high controllability. It provides you with multiple heat settings within 1500W and adjustable thermostat.
|De'Longhi Mica Thermic Panel Heater HMP1500 Specifications|
27 x 10 x 22 inches
Provide wheels and handles
Flexible, controllable, and heavy-duty, the De'Longhi Mica Thermic Panel Heater HMP1500 is always our go-to choice when it comes to the best wall-mounted electric heater.
How To Choose The Most Efficient Electric Heaters?
It’s important to determine the right size of an electric heater for your needs.
This feature is impacted by many elements, including the room size, room’s insulation levels, and more. So, first thing first, you need to determine the room area by multiplying its width and length together (in feet).
Then find out its insulation level:
The right wattage
(watts per foot)
R-38 in ceiling & R-19 in walls
R-19 in ceiling & R-11 in walls
- Utilize the next higher wattage up to 15 watts per square foot during the winter
- Choose a 1000W heater (at least) for bathrooms
- Increase wattage by 25% for every extra two feet high for 8’ ceilings or taller.
With such pieces of information, you can calculate the wattage needed for a heater on your own or a simpler way is to follow this table:
- While portable electric heaters are commended for its efficiency in both energy and cost, added thermostatic controls make it work most efficiently.
- The biggest advantage of this feature is to ensure switching off when the heater has achieved your chosen temperature. There are many types of thermostatic controls, such as a plug-in timer, plug-in thermostat, and built-in thermostat.
- Another great addition to increase an electric heater’s efficiency is climate controls.
- The way they work is tracking the room temperature. If it is below your set level, they will switch back on.
Which Brands Make The Most Efficient Electric Heaters?
- Lasko started as a small American-made shop in Philadelphia and now, it’s been the leading brand in this industry with over 100 years of tradition. We really like the spirit of Lasko. They work hard to delivers top-notch products in both standards of excellence and innovation.
- We might not need to talk more about this Dyson. It’s too popular these days. As usually, heaters from Dyson are commended for their superb quality, effective performance, and safety.
- Focusing on home appliances, HomeLeader has over 20 years’ experience in providing a great number of high cost-effective household electric appliances with great varieties.
What heater uses the least electricity?
From our review, the Homeleader 1500W Oil Heater, Portable Space Heater consumes the least electricity.
Which type of heater is the cheapest to run?
Oil-fired radiators and halogen heaters
How much does it cost to run a 1500 watt heater for 24 hours?
It depends on the electric charge in your area. Find this number on your monthly electricity bill and multiply it with the wattage of your heater (in kilowatts) and the number of hours (24 hours in this case).
For example, if your electricity rate is 12 cents/kWh. The total amount of money you have to pay for a 1500W heater for 24 hours is 0.12 x 24 x 1.5 kWh = $4.32.
Can infrared heaters cause cancer?
No, they can’t.
According to a study conducted in 2006 by The International Commission on Non-Ionization Radiation Protection, exposing skin to an infrared heater doesn’t cause cancer because of its non-ionizing property.
How long should heater last?
15-30 years. Some models even last up to 40 years.
Electric heaters are a worthy investment to your house during the winter for extra warmth and safety. We hope our review of the most efficient electric heaters helped you figure out what to consider when making your next purchase and that you have a good starting point. Thanks for reading!