A miter is one of the best tools you can get that allows you to make different cuts on wood. But just like with any other tool, accuracy is very important that directly affects the efficiency and outcome of your work.
That’s why we have compiled a guide on finding the most accurate miter saw for you.
Here are the most accurate miter saws you can buy in 2021:
- Best Overall (Compound Miter Saw): Metabo HPT Compound 10” Miter Saw
- Best For Cutting Angles (Compound Miter Saw): Genesis GMS1015LC
- Best for Aluminum Tube Cutting (Compound Miter Saw): Makita 10” Compound Miter Saw, Makita LS1040
- Best Overall (Sliding Compound Miter Saw): DEWALT DWS780
- Best For Wood Cutting (Sliding Compound Miter Saw): Delta 10” Sliding Compound Miter Saw 26-2241
- Best For Small Projects (Sliding Compound Miter Saw): CRAFTSMAN V20 CMCS714M1
|6 Most Accurate Miter Saws|
|Metabo HPT Compound 10” Miter Saw|
Best For Cutting Angles
Best for Aluminum Tube Cutting
|Makita 10” Compound Miter Saw, Makita LS1040|
Best For Wood Cutting
|Delta 10” Sliding Compound Miter Saw 26-2241|
Best For Small Projects
|CRAFTSMAN V20 CMCS714M1|
Compound Miter Saw
Best Overall (Compound Miter Saw): Metabo HPT Compound 10” Miter Saw
- Easily haul it around – the weight of 24.2 pounds
- Able to fit in most tight spots – measured by 18-1/8
- The brake slows the blade rapidly
According to our testing, the Metabo HPT Compound 10" Miter Saw is the best option you can buy.
It is 10” sized, which goes everywhere more easily than the 12" dual bevel sliding or 100lb radial arm. It’s also compact enough to fit in narrow quarters and lightweight enough to be used by one hand.
Yet, there’s plenty of power in this guy for 2”x6” or 2x4” studs as well as accuracy for window molding, base, or crown.
The cut with the stock blade is really smooth. Regardless, its price point can’t be lower.
|Metabo HPT Compound 10” Miter Saw Specifications|
Miter Angle Range
L/R 0-52 degrees
Left 0-45 degrees
the weight of 24.2 pounds
measured by 18-1/8" x 22-31/32" x 21-15/32"
If you hate hauling big cutting tools around and want something that is compact, lightweight yet powerful, the Metabo HPT Compound 10
Best For Cutting Angles (Compound Miter Saw): Genesis GMS1015LC
- Easily make angle cuts - ultra-wide miter angle range & nine position stops at the most frequently used angles
- High accuracy - Die-cast aluminum base & Laser cutting guides
- Easy to stop/replace the blade - Arbor lock & Electric brake
- The battery laser is quickly drained out
- The laser could be more powerful
The main reason that we chose this as the best for cutting angles is its ultra-wide miter angle range (45 degrees right and left), along with nine position stops at the most frequently used angles.
Not to say that all are done with high accuracy and quietness. It’s powerful enough to cut anything 2”x4” with safety thanks to the added laser cutting guides.
The frame is cast aluminum – very lightweight yet sturdy.
|Genesis GMS1015LC Specifications|
@45°x45°: H 1-3/8” x W3-5/16”
Miter Angle Range
45 degrees left and right
up to 45 degrees left
ultra-wide miter angle range & nine position stops at the most frequently used angles
Die-cast aluminum base & Laser cutting guides
Arbor lock & Electric brake
Built to capably make angle cuts easily, the Genesis GMS1015LC is our solid suggestion for both DIY enthusiasts and professionals who want to tackle a small project.
Best for Aluminum Tube Cutting (Compound Miter Saw): Makita 10” Compound Miter Saw, Makita LS1040
- Able to cut through 2.5” aluminum tubes easily – the carbide blade
- Large capacity – cuts 47 degrees left and 52 degrees right with 9 positive stops
- Powerful performance - 15 AMP direct drive motor
- Wish it had more included work aids and accessories
We tested this miter saw in cutting moldings and aluminum tubes for several days and never had a lick of trouble. Compared to others, its performance is outstanding.
That is a big thank you to the added carbide blade to the same saw out on its mainline. It also feels durable and due to some loyal customers, this saw could last up to 5 years before completely worn out.
You can easily adjust it for angled cuts thanks to the large capacity and power.
|Makita 10” Compound Miter Saw, Makita LS1040 Specifications|
@45°/45°: 1-3/8" x 3-5/8"
@90°/90°: 2-3/4" x 5-1/8"
Miter Angle Range
0-45 left and 0-52 right
45 degrees left or right and 0 degrees
the carbide blade
cuts 47 degrees left and 52 degrees right with 9 positive stops
15 AMP direct drive motor
For those who intend to buy a small miter saw yet powerful enough to cut through 2.5” aluminum tubes with ease, the Makita LS1040 would be our first choice.
Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Best Overall (Sliding Compound Miter Saw): DEWALT DWS780
- Able to handle bigger cutting tasks – a 12” saw size
- Improved productivity - 10 positive stops & Adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate
- Offer adjustment-free cut line indication - Integrated XPS cross cut positioning system
This sliding compound miter saw exceeds our initial expectations. The 12” saw size allows you to cut through bigger objects to finish any task faster, and its supplied blade quality is good enough for most cuts.
The saw is well-balanced while the slide is butter smooth.
It’s easy to set up and starts quietly. The added stainless steel miter detent plate with ten adjustable positive stops takes accuracy and your productivity to the next level.
Meanwhile, its unique XPS crosscut positioning system requires no recalibration, giving superior accuracy to traditional laser guides.
|DEWALT DWS780 Specifications|
2 x 10 on 45 degree
2 x 14 on 90 degree
Miter Angle Range
60 degrees to the right and 50 degrees to the left
0 to 48 degree left and right
a 12” saw size
10 positive stops & Adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate
Integrated XPS cross cut positioning system
The DEWALT DWS780 is your best bet if you want an optimal function for improved productivity.
Best For Wood Cutting (Sliding Compound Miter Saw): Delta 10” Sliding Compound Miter Saw 26-2241
- Cast a shadow of the cut line on the wood - Shadow line technology
- Increase the accuracy of the cuts - a laser cutting guide
- Safe – a safety trigger to the handle
- Wish the shadow line could be seen better in bright sunlight
- The dust collection doesn’t function well
This is the 2nd generation of Delta 10” sliding compound miter saw with five highlight features. Therein, its Shadow line technology is the most impressive as it can cast a shadow of the cut line on the wood.
Besides, you’ll benefit from a laser cutting guide for enhanced accuracy.
Use it with ease of mind! You will never be afraid of something (especially your naughty kids) accidentally starting the saw, thanks to the added safety trigger to the handle.
The articulating arms, besides, are tightened up for less play at full extension.
|Delta 10” Sliding Compound Miter Saw 26-2241 Specifications|
Miter Angle Range
50° left miter/60° right
45° left/45° right
Shadow line technology
a laser cutting guide
a safety trigger to the handle
All-in-all, the Delta 10
Best For Small Projects (Sliding Compound Miter Saw): CRAFTSMAN V20 CMCS714M1
- Portability & maneuverability – side carry handles, the weight of 21.8 lbs., & compact size
- Convenient to be used outdoors - the V20 cordless system
- Easily tackle 2”x6” or 2”x4 pressure treated wood - a powerful 3, 800 RPM motor
- Include only one battery
We recommend this miter saw to anyone doing small DIY projects because of its incredible lightness yet powerful performance.
It can handle most cutting tasks of 2”x6” or 2x4” with no issues, even with pressure-treated woods. Considering the size of this machine, its build quality is relatively stout. The battery life, meanwhile, is very good and it charges fast.
It’s very flexible with both angled and mitered cuts. But the best thing is you don’t have to drag out a long extension cord to work outdoors.
|CRAFTSMAN V20 CMCS714M1 Specifications|
3-1/2 in. Baseboard vertically
3-5/8 in. Nested Crown
side carry handles, the weight of 21.8 lbs., & compact size
the V20 cordless system
a powerful 3, 800 RPM motor
If you find yourself mostly cutting thinner boards and PVC, or other small projects, the CRAFTSMAN V20 CMCS714M1 works great for that.
How To Choose The Most Accurate Miter Saw?
When choosing a miter saw, there will be several sizes for you to choose from. Normally, a sliding compound miter saw at the size of 8.5 inches can handle 85% of the jobs you need to do.
Specifically, if you often work with base and crown cuts, you should get a saw of 10 or 12 inches in size. But if you mostly make flat cuts on the base, you should opt for an 8.5-inch miter saw as it’s more portable. All in all, when choosing a size, follow these rules:
- The 12-inch type is for cutting deeper materials like 1x12 and you have space for a larger saw, especially a stand. This size is suitable for cutting vertical crown tall as well.
- The 10-inch type is for those who want both portability and capacity.
- A miter saw smaller than 10 inches is suitable for those who prefer portability and need to cut smaller crown, base, and door trim.
One of the first and foremost things you need to decide on when shopping for a miter saw is the type. Regarding this matter, you face 5 options.
- Sliding miter saw: this type features rails that allow the saw blade to slide back and forth across the wood, offering much deeper cuts than miter saws without rails. This type is suitable for deeper materials such as 1x12 and 2x12 lumber. But these saws are not compact.
- Compound miter saw: consisting of a bevel and miter, this type can miter and make bevel cuts, suitable for crown molding.
- A basic miter saw: this type can make cross cuts as well as miters, but not bevel cuts. These saws are lightweight and cheap but have limited cutting depth and width.
- Compound sliding miter saw: this type has rails for larger crosscut capacity and a left bevel for compound cuts. It’s suitable for deeper material such as 1x12 and 2x12 lumber but not portable.
- Dual compound sliding miter saw: this type comes with sliding rails, a miter table, as well as beveling that goes left and right. Using these miter saws, you don’t have to flip the material around for the opposite compound cut. All in all, they are suitable for a base flat and bevel-cut crown, but they cost more.
Cord or Cordless
While this seems not prominent, you will also need to decide if you want a corded or cordless tool as it’s related to portability.
If you feel that a cordless miter saw can help you save a great deal of time and energy, there are many battery-power models available that offer the same power as corded models.
Which Brands Make The Most Accurate Miter Saw?
Founded in 1915, this company has built a reputation for its research and development capability. Its products are incredibly durable and quality.
With nearly a century of experience in the power tool business, this is the leading brand to buy from. It focuses on design and innovation to help you increase productivity.
Which is better 10 or 12 miter saw?
This depends on your preference and the material you will cut. The 12-inch size offers more cutting power for deeper material but the 10-inch size is more portable and has more blades available.
Are sliding miter saws accurate?
Yes, sliding miter saws allow for precise cuts.
What size miter saw is best?
The best size of a miter saw depends on the use of each person. But it seems that the 10-inch size is the best of both worlds by offering both cutting capacity and portability.
Will a 10-inch miter saw cut a 4x4?
Yes, it will. In fact, the 10-inch miter saw can make perfect 4x4 cuts.
Do I really need a dual bevel miter saw?
This depends on your needs. If you are a professional who wants extreme convenience when cutting wood by not having to flip the material around, this is the perfect tool for you. But other types like a compound sliding miter saw can make such cuts well.
We hope that this post has provided all the information you’re looking for to find the most accurate miter saw. There are a number of factors to take into account, but remember that regardless of the size and budget, you must always pay attention to the accuracy of these tools