A retractable hose reel is very convenient and helps you save time in the garden because it doesn’t require as much effort when you retract the hose. But how can you know what model is the best retractable garden hose reel for you?
Here are the best retractable garden hose reels you can buy in 2021:
- Best Overall: Giraffe Retractable Garden Hose Reel
- Best For Cold Temperatures: AMES 2416500
- Budget Option: Stanley Garden BDS6620
- Best For Seniors: TACKLIFE 5/8'' Hose Reel
- Best For Low-Pressure Water: Power Retractable Hose Reel
- Most Durable: GARDENA Retractable Battery Operated Hose Reel
|6 Best Retractable Garden Hose Reels|
|Giraffe Retractable Garden Hose Reel|
Best For Cold Temperatures
|Stanley Garden BDS6620|
Best For Seniors
|TACKLIFE 5/8'' Hose Reel|
Best For Low-Pressure Water
|Power Retractable Hose Reel|
|GARDENA Retractable Battery Operated Hose Reel|
Best Overall: Giraffe Retractable Garden Hose Reel
- Easy to retract without guiding it onto the spool – feature guidance system
- Leak-resistant & durable - hybrid material
- Able to swivel 180 degrees - the mounting system
- Able to be locked at any length - adopts 90-foot hybrid hose
- The installation is a bit tricky
The Giraffe is a solid retractable garden hose reel that seriously performs far better than other water-driven auto-rolling hose units. It’s a lot faster and doesn’t require you to guide it onto the spool.
It doesn’t leak or easily breaks like other plastic hose reels, either. That is a big thank you to its hybrid material with an emphasis on extreme durability and all-weather flexibility.
You can swivel it 180 degrees like a breeze due to the unique mounting system. But the best part is that this hose reel adopts a 90-foot hybrid hose, which makes it easier to cover all the corners of your yard.
|Giraffe Retractable Garden Hose Reel Specifications|
Water Pipe Material
PP Main body+PVC Hose
Pattern Hose Nozzle
feature guidance system
the mounting system
adopts 90-foot hybrid hose
We love the Giraffe Retractable Garden Hose Reel because of its best overall performance. It’s durable, long-lasting, easy to use, and perfect for four-season use
Best For Cold Temperatures: AMES 2416500
- Leak-proof and cold-resistant – made of aluminum and hybrid materials
- Perfect for large landscapes or gardens – 100-foot length
- Rewound safely and easily – autowinder retractable hose system
- Slightly reduced water pressure
- The tab on the side cover could be stronger
What makes this retractable garden hose reel outstanding is its durability. Built to be 8x stronger than typical water systems, it can withstand cold temperature to ensure flexibility while under normal use, it won’t leak or thread.
It’s also easy to retract. With only a tug on the hose, it is rewound safely and easily.
The 100-foot length is perfect to reach anywhere, especially large commercial landscapes or gardens.
|AMES 2416500 Specifications|
Water Pipe Material
made of aluminum and hybrid materials
autowinder retractable hose system
While many plastic retractable garden hose reels tend to become stiff and easily break during winter, the AMES 2416500 is an exception. Due to its decent cold tolerance, the hose flexibility remains all the time.
Budget Option: Stanley Garden BDS6620
- Ideal for flower beds or medium-sized gardens – the 65-foot length and small hose diameter
- Robust and rugged – made of brass and hybrid materials
- Easy to mount – the mounting bracket
- A little hard to pull out
- Not for big gardens or large areas - Low water pressure
This automatic retracting system is one of the most inexpensive in our review roster.
It features a 65-foot length and the hose is small, which is highly recommended for flower beds or medium-sized gardens.
Regardless, it is durable, easy to use, and easily mounted. You can firmly fire it on the wall with the mounting bracket. A big bonus is its locking device holds the hose firmly at any length.
|Stanley Garden BDS6620 Specifications|
Water Pipe Material
the 65-foot length and small hose diameter
made of brass and hybrid materials
the mounting bracket
The Stanley Garden BDS6620 is a perfect choice for anyone who is on a tight budget.
Best For Seniors: TACKLIFE 5/8'' Hose Reel
- Safer for kids and seniors to use - low-speed structure
- No tangled hassles when retracting – the 15-second slow retracting process & braking mechanism
- Effortless to use - auto-lock the hose at the desired length
- All-around versatility - seven pattern hose nozzles
- The materials inside are much all plastic
- The included sprayer could be of higher quality
The low-speed structure of this retractable garden hose reel is key to make it safer for seniors and children. To retract the hose back, it takes no longer than 15 seconds and the whole process is automatic.
You don’t have to worry about tangled hose or stuff like that as the braking mechanism will keep the rewinding process slowly to coil it neatly.
A good thing is you don’t have to pull it all the time as the hose will auto-lock at the desired position.
We also appreciate that it comes with seven pattern hose nozzles for all-around versatility.
|TACKLIFE 5/8'' Hose Reel Specifications|
Water Pipe Material
the 15-second slow retracting process & braking mechanism
auto-lock the hose at the desired length
seven pattern hose nozzles
If you’re looking for a safe and effortless-to-use retractable garden hose reel, then the TACKLIFE 5/8'' Hose Reel is a shining contender
Best For Low-Pressure Water: Power Retractable Hose Reel
- Ideal for small areas or flower beds due to the low water pressure - The brass fittings have smaller openings
- Suitable for stone, concrete, and brick – include wall plugs and screws in the package
- Safe to rewind the hose - slow return system and nozzle protector
- Dependable - a three-year warranty
- The mount-to-unit bar is plastic
For small gardens or flowerbeds, this low-pressure retractable hose reel might be what you’re looking for. The brass fittings have smaller openings than standard units, which results in nearly ½ lower pressure.
This option is extremely suitable for stone, concrete, and brick as it provides wall plugs and screws in the package.
It’s also safe to use. When retracting, it doesn’t cause injury or damage to anyone, which is a big thank you to the perfect combo of slow return system and nozzle protector.
Use it with peace in mind due to the three-layer hybrid hose structure. Besides, your purchase is under a three-year warranty and a money-back guarantee.
|Power Retractable Hose Reel Specifications|
Water Pipe Material
3 Layer Hybrid Hose
Patented Nozzle Protector
The brass fittings have smaller openings
include wall plugs and screws in the package
slow return system and nozzle protector
a three-year warranty
If low water pressure is exactly what you’re finding in the best retractable garden hose reel, check out the Power Retractable Hose Reel
Most Durable: GARDENA Retractable Battery Operated Hose Reel
- Decent durability – sunlight protection, corrosion resistance, and leakproof
- High flexibility for easy winding/rewinding – cold tolerance
- Ready to use anytime - powerful lithium-ion rechargeable battery
Not only providing the longest hose length to reach further but the GARDENA Retractable Battery Operated Hose Reel also stands out of the competition for its decent durability.
While your purchase is backed by a 12-month warranty, the whole unit does give a very solid hand-feel. It can resist direct sunlight exposure, deliver great corrosion resistance, and leak-proof. The most notable thing is that it’s cold-tolerant to offer the highest flexibility levels.
The biggest selling point is its powerful lithium-ion battery that can be used anytime, at anywhere, and it’s easily detached for recharging. You’ll know when it needs charging due to the LEDs shown on the unit.
Another bonus is its compatibility with an anti-drip tool to prevent water dripping.
|GARDENA Retractable Battery Operated Hose Reel Specifications|
sunlight protection, corrosion resistance, and leakproof
powerful lithium-ion rechargeable battery
After extensive tests, the GARDENA Retractable Battery Operated Hose Reel brings home our Editors’ Choice for durability award.
How To Choose The Best Retractable Garden Hose Reel?
It’s always great to have durable tools that you can use for a long time as it will help you save money that you will otherwise use to buy new tools.
You can find many products with the promise of a 10-year lifetime. Besides, remember to consider the warranty policy.
The durability of a garden hose reel is largely determined by the material it’s made from. There are various materials used in making reels, such as polyurethane, die-cast aluminum, steel, rubber, wrought iron, or a combination of these.
No matter what material you choose make sure the reel is waterproof or weather-resistant, rust-free, and not easy to break.
Hose Length & Diameter
Reel winders correspond to different hose lengths. Therefore, a retractable reel often comes with a short hose pipe that’s no longer than 30 meters. This length is enough for a small garden.
If you want a longer hose, you will have to opt for another type of reel.
The reel diameter must be taken into account too because it’s directly related to how easy it is to wind and unroll the pipe.
For a longer hose, you will need a larger diameter. For a shorter hose, you just need a smaller diameter.
A hose reel can be used for multiple jobs, so you should find a portable reel so you can carry it to different places.
Comfort Of Use
Though mentioned last, this is one of the most important factors to look for in a garden hose reel. Most of the time, unwinding and winding are simple, so you only need to find a model that you can handle easily. If you can, try to find a self-winding reel for the most comfort.
Which Brands Make The Best Retractable Garden Hose Reel?
This is one of the most reliable brands that focus on auto-retracting reels. It has also obtained great success thanks to the outstanding quality of its products.
Founded in 1774, this brand has had over 200 years of experience in the industry. It aims at building tools for the next generation of the future.
Since its establishment in 1843, this brand has been a professional in making tools. It delivers reliable, high-quality, and innovative products to customers.
This brand is about addressing your everyday needs with its innovative solutions. It uses the rich experience to upgrade its products to ensure customer satisfaction.
Over the past 59 years, GARDENA has become a trustworthy garden tool company for global consumers. It focuses on making intelligent products to increase productivity for your gardening.
Are retractable hoses any good?
Yes, retractable hoses offer several benefits including convenience and flexibility.
How do you attach a hose reel to a brick wall?
Here’s what you need to do:
- Measure the hose length to figure out where you can attach the hose reel.
- Now, hold the reel against the wall, and the screw holes must be centered over brick, not over the mortar joints. Mark through the holes and put the reel aside.
- Take a drill, center it a bit over a mark on the wall, and drill about 2.75 inches into the wall.
- Fill the pilot holes with silicone
- Now, use a power drill with a screwdriver bit to drive screws through the holes until they’re snug.
- Twist the connector on the short hose of the reel to the hose bib, then fasten the hose’s end to the connector of the reel.
How do you roll a garden hose on a reel?
Follow these 5 easy steps to roll the hose on a reel.
- Straighten the hose so that it’s untangled, disconnect the hose from yard equipment.
- Handle the crank to the left or right depending on your model. With your other hand, push the hose to the right or left side of the reel and start cranking.
- Turn the reel clockwise or counterclockwise on a full turn and guide the hose with your other hand to make the first layer to cover the whole surface of the reel.
- Repeat the process but in the reverse direction to create the next layer.
- Repeat the process over and over again until the entire hose is on the reel.
How do you attach a hose reel to the siding?
Attaching a hose reel to the siding is similar to attaching it to a wall. This means you have to find a spot to attach it. Then, you need to mark the screw holes, hold the reel against the siding and start driving the screw. Lastly, tighten the screw to hold the reel in place.
How does a retractable garden hose reel work?
It rewinds the air hose automatically with an internal recoil spring. The more you pull the hose from the reel, the larger the tension against the spring.
This post has given you all the necessary information to find the best retractable garden hose reel. Therefore, we hope that you will be able to buy a good reel that will reduce the workload in the garden for you.