Among several types of saws, portable table saws surface as a great option for those who need to carry the saw between job sites. But do you know how to find the best portable table saw for fine woodworking?
There are a number of factors you need to take into account and this post will help you.
Here are the best portable table saws for fine woodworking you can buy in 2023:
- Best Overall (Portable Table Saw with Stand): DEWALT DWE7491RS
- Best For Smooth Cuts (Portable Table Saw with Stand): Goplus Table Saw
- Best For Treated Lumber (Portable Table Saw with Stand): Delta 36-6023
- Best Overall (Portable Table Saw without Stand): Rockwell BladeRunner X2 RK7323
- Best For Longer & Wider Cuts (Portable Table Saw without Stand): WORX WX572L BladeRunner x2
- Best For Plywood (Portable Table Saw without Stand): Makita 2705
|6 Best Portable Table Saws For Fine Woodworking|
Best For Smooth Cuts
|Goplus Table Saw|
Best For Treated Lumber
|Rockwell BladeRunner X2 RK7323|
Best For Longer & Wider Cuts
|WORX WX572L BladeRunner x2|
Best For Plywood
Portable Table Saw With Stand
Best Overall (Portable Table Saw With Stand): DEWALT DWE7491RS
- Able to cut pressure hardwoods and treated lumber - a powerful 15-amp high-torque motor
- Cut with high accuracy, smoothness, and fast actions - rack and pinion telescoping fence system
- User-friendly - accept large dado stacks, quick removal of a riving knife, quick angle adjustment, and easy blade removal
- The rip fence measurement could be more accurate
We’d like to start this list with the DEWALT DWE7491RS – a portable table saw featuring a powerful 15-amp high-torque motor that can cut pressure hardwoods and treat lumber like a champ.
It makes cuts accurate, smooth, and pretty fast. You can easily adjust the fence by using its rack and pinion telescoping fence system.
Compared to other brands, it has so many upgrades: accept large dado stacks, quick removal of a riving knife, quick angle adjustment, and easy blade removal.
The stand is stable, very strong, and moves around easily.
|DEWALT DWE7491RS Specifications|
A 15.0A high torque Motor
Max Rip To Right of Blade: 32-1/2”
Max Rip To Left of Blade: 22”
a powerful 15-amp high-torque motor
rack and pinion telescoping fence system
accept large dado stacks, quick removal of a riving knife, quick angle adjustment, and easy blade removal
Built with accessory storage, ease of adjustments, and safety features, the DEWALT DWE7491RS becomes our Editors’ Choice Award winner this year.
Best For Smooth Cuts (Portable Table Saw With Stand): Goplus Table Saw
- Offer smoother sliding actions - coated aluminum tabletop and 36-tooth blade with 26-inch ripping performance
- Able to cut, rip, and slot - huge handwheel
- Powerful yet quiet - the high-torque 15-amp motor & 5000RPM of speed
- Safe to use - riving knife and transparent guard
- It has no connector to the vacuum
This option is able to rip through a wide range of hardwood kinds without splintering them or causing the loud noise. It’s incredibly powerful, thanks to the high-torque 15-amp motor that offers 5000RPM of speed.
The huge handwheel allows it to meet different needs, like cutting, ripping, and slotting, by controlling the blade lifting.
The best part is the coated aluminum tabletop and 36-tooth blade with 26-inch ripping performance. This flawless combination minimizes extra friction during the cut, hence, offering smoother sliding actions.
It’s also designed with your safety in mind; the added riving knife and transparent guard around the blade help prevent accidental flying chips, injury, and hurt efficiently.
|Goplus Table Saw Specifications|
A 15-Amp motor
coated aluminum tabletop and 36-tooth blade with 26-inch ripping performance
the high-torque 15-amp motor & 5000RPM of speed
riving knife and transparent guard
The Goplus Table Saw is somewhat you should check out if you’re looking for the best portable table saw for smooth cuts.
Best For Treated Lumber (Portable Table Saw With Stand): Delta 36-6023
- Powerful & great for cutting treated lumbers - a 15-amp contractor-grade motor & 32.5” rip capacity
- Make fence modification a lot smoother, faster, and more accurate – the uniquely designed fence rails
- Reliable – backed by a 5-year warranty
- A bit challenging to assemble it
- The miter guide needs more improvement
If you find yourself usually using your portable table saw for ripping treated lumber, this one is worth considering. It features a 15-amp contractor-grade motor to offer 8” x 13/16” stacked dado capacity and 32.5” rip capacity.
Besides, it makes fence modification a lot smoother, faster, and more accurate, which is a big thank you to the uniquely designed fence rails.
While Delta is a big brand in this industry, if you’re new to them, rest the heart (!) as your purchase will be under a professional-grade 5-year warranty.
|Delta 36-6023 Specifications|
A 15 Amp Contractor Grade motor
a 15-amp contractor-grade motor & 32.5” rip capacity
the uniquely designed fence rails
backed by a 5-year warranty
After testing different candidates, we’re pleasantly surprised by the Delta 36-6023’s power and smooth actions that make treated lumber cutting super-fast and accurate.
Portable Table Saw Without Stand
Best Overall (Portable Table Saw Without Stand): Rockwell BladeRunner X2 RK7323
- Prevent accidental injury – safety switch
- Able to pull off precise miter cuts - adjustable gauge
- Work like a full-sized saw – riving knife system and standard guard
- The guides aren’t much use with cutting planks
- A bit annoying for cutting down long planks
Out of lots of contenders, the Rockwell BladeRunner X2 RK7323’s performance satisfied us the most. It helps us do crosscuts, rip cuts, and several free form cutting on both hardwoods and softwoods like a breeze.
All the cuts we have done were very clean, smooth, and easy with high precision. No problem with straight cuts. The riving knife system and standard guard makes it cut like a full-sized.
The safety features are very nice.
We do appreciate the on-board accessory storage design which keeps all of the blades, rip fence, and miter gauge in place when not in use.
|Rockwell BladeRunner X2 RK7323 Specifications|
A 5.5-amp motor
safety switch & vacuum port
riving knife system and standard guard
We think the Rockwell BladeRunner X2 RK7323 is a portable table saw without a stand that could work for almost anyone.
Best For Longer & Wider Cuts (Portable Table Saw Without Stand): WORX WX572L BladeRunner x2
- Allow you to make common miter cuts in all in-between angles - adjustable miter gauge
- Able to make wider, longer, and straighter cuts - riving knife system and steel rip fence
- Built to last - cutting-edge technology
- Not good at ripping boards
- Feature short arm
- Quiet noisy
If you want to make common miter cuts in all in-between angles, we suggest trying the WORX WX572L BladeRunner x2. Why?
The reason is it features an adjustable 0-60° (from both left and right sides) miter gauge.
It also allows you to make wider, longer, and straighter cuts more easily, all thanks to the handy riving knife system and steel rip fence. With cutting-edge technology, it is built to last.
|WORX WX572L BladeRunner x2 Specifications|
adjustable miter gauge
riving knife system and steel rip fence
Not only versatile and durable, but the WORX WX572L BladeRunner x2 is also able to make longer and wider cuts like a pro.
Best For Plywood (Portable Table Saw Without Stand): Makita 2705
- Deliver wider cross cutting tasks - 3/8” x ¾” grooved T-slot miter gauge
- Offer a ripping capability of 4 x 8-foot sheets of plywood - right extension table
- Give you extra ease of adjustment and precision - the adjustable rip fence
- Wish the frame for it was steel
Right out of the box, this portable table saw keeps true and flat for precise cuts.
The 3/8” x ¾” grooved T-slot miter gauge which supports securely cutting materials to offer wider cross-cutting tasks.
But the real star is its right extension table that delivers a ripping capability of 4 x 8-foot sheets of plywood. For extra ease of adjustment and precision, it is also built with an adjustable rip fence.
|Makita 2705 Specifications|
A 15.0 AMP motor
3/8” x ¾” grooved T-slot miter gauge
right extension table
the adjustable rip fence
If you are seeking the best portable table saw without a stand for cutting plywood, the Makita 2705 is your best bet.
How To Choose The Best Portable Table Saw For Fine Woodworking?
When you look for a portable tool, portability should be one of the first things to consider, but it’s not easy to define a portable table saw.
However, it must be maneuverable, it cannot be too heavy. In most cases, a table saw can weigh from 60 to 100 pounds. You should go with a weight limit that suits you the most.
In addition, you can get more portability if the saw has handles or wheels that make it easier to move. It would be even better if you find a collapsible saw that you can assemble and disassemble quickly.
Types of table saws
When it comes to table saws, there are five options for you to choose from:
- Contractor table saw: this type is popular among professionals. These saws are smaller than the standard size but less powerful.
- Cabinet table saw: this type is the most powerful, featuring extremely elongated durability. They are often used at workshops, factory shops, and specialized schools.
- Hybrids table saw: this type is in between a contractor table saw and a cabinet table saw.
- Portable table saw: this type is compact and easy to move from one job site to another.
Of course, for the sake of portability, you should only look into the last type, portable table saw.
The type of blades is determined based on the dimensions and tooth count.
The most common blades measure 10 or 12 inches, but there are other sizes as well with some measuring only 5 inches and others measuring 1 foot.
Meanwhile, the tooth count varies between sizes and ranges from 24 teeth to 80 teeth. Blade teeth these days are mostly made of carbide or steel that can handle denser materials.
Which Brands Make The Best Portable Table Saw For Fine Woodworking?
Over the past 98 years, this brand has been working to improve productivity for users. It focuses on creating professional tools.
This brand is a creator of power tools and is known as a leader in advancing the industry. It offers tools to help people take care of their homes.
Founded in 1915, this is a manufacturer of electric tools, including saws. Thanks to the strength in research and development, it offers high-performance, powerful, and durable products for users.
Are portable table saws accurate?
Yes, thanks to technology advancements, portable table saws now offer reliable accuracy, but this can vary among different models.
Should I buy a table saw or miter saw first?
According to many users, you should go with a table saw first as it can do anything that a miter saw can.
Do I need a miter saw if I have a table saw?
If you want to make precise miter cuts, you should get a miter saw.
Do you need a stand for a table saw?
No, not necessarily.
Can a table saw cut a 4x4?
A 12-inch table saw can cut through a 4x4 in a pass, but a 10-inch saw can’t.
We hope that this post has provided all the information you need to find the best portable table saw for fine woodworking. Remember that while performance is very important, you are looking for portability as well, so prioritize that factor.