Dogs are an active pet, loving to play outside. So, you should invest in the best outdoor toys for dogs, which bring a lot of fun for your pup and provide him with mental and physical exercise. In particular, when playing with your dog and his toys outside, you also will have plenty of happy moments.
Have you recognized the benefits of outdoor dog toys? If yes, don't wait anymore. Please check my list below to pick up one immediately.
Here are the best outdoor toys for dogs you can buy in 2023:
- Best For Water Play (Ball): ChuckIt! Ultra Ball
- Best For Teeth Cleaning (Ball): Volacopets
- Best For Medium Breed Dogs (Ball): Snug
- Best For Small Breed Dogs (Rope Toy): Otterly Pets Puppy
- Best For Large Breed Dogs (Rope Toy): Vitscan Dog Toys
- Most Versatile (Rope Toy): UPSKY Dog rope toys puppy grinding
- Best For Beginning Chewers (Chew Toy): KONG
- Best For Aggressive Chewers (Chew Toy): Pet Qwerks Dinosaur BarkBone
- Best For Mental Stimulation (Chew Toy): WENXUAN Pineapple
|9 Best Outdoor Toys For Dogs|
Best For Water Play
|ChuckIt! Ultra Ball|
Best For Teeth Cleaning
Best For Medium Breed Dogs
Best For Small Breed Dogs
|Otterly Pets Puppy|
Best For Large Breed Dogs
|Vitscan Dog Toys|
|UPSKY Dog rope toys puppy grinding|
Best For Beginning Chewers
Best For Aggressive Chewers
|Pet Qwerks Dinosaur BarkBone|
Best For Mental Stimulation
Best For Water Play (Ball): ChuckIt! Ultra Ball
- Easy for you to throw
- Straightforward to wash off
- Using this rubber ball for a very long time can wear down your dog's teeth.
Playing with your dog in your pool is one of the most exciting and cool activities in summer. Don't forget to prepare a floating toy for your dog. ChuckIt! Ultra Ball is what you are looking for because its rubber material comes with a high level of elastic and waterproof features. Using this ball in the water for a long time won't break and damage it caused by elements in this environment.
In particular, this model is also very lightweight and buoyant in the water, so your dog can catch the ball quickly.
|ChuckIt! Ultra Ball Specifications|
squeaker ball toy, a textured surface & a thick rubber core
ChuckIt! Ultra Ball is an ideal solution for playing both under the water and in the ground.
Best For Teeth Cleaning (Ball): Volacopets
- Can't stand the giant jaws of big dogs
This is a set, including 5 balls with 5 different functions. Most of them help your dog relax and entertain in a better way, but the dental cleaning ball provides you with the most practical benefit. This ball functions as a toothbrush for your dog.
How does it work?
To see the best result, you need to shove treats into grooves and let your pet chew it. While chewing, the unique design of this ball helps your dog remove bits of food stuck in between its teeth.
2.8 inches (dental cleaning ball)
5 different toys in a set, no plastic material
Volacopets dog balls are useful for cleaning teeth, attracting the dog's attention better, and keeping your pet safer while playing.
Best For Medium Breed Dogs (Ball): Snug
- Well bounce
What’s happen if you choose the wrong size of the ball for your dog? A bigger breed dog might swallow it, being choked.
Thus, be sure to use these small balls (6.5cm/2.5'' in diameter) for proper purposes because they are designed for medium breed dogs.
100% Natural rubber
Colorful rubber dog balls, Easy-to-clean, great for pools, ponds, and the outdoors
Snug dog balls provide your medium breed pets with the best way to be relaxed and entertained.
Best For Small Breed Dogs (Rope Toy): Otterly Pets Puppy
- Low price
Like the case above, these little Otterly Pets Puppy rope toys are designed for small breed dogs, not bigger ones.
If you let your large dogs play with these inappropriately sized toys, it can cause swallowing and choking hazards.
Once you make sure that small breed dogs play with these small rope toys, they can bring many advantages:
They give your dog a lot of fun from the tug of war, toss, and chew games; mostly, they are also very useful to use as a toothbrush.
|Otterly Pets Puppy Specifications|
6.5 x 6.5 x 3 inches
Four durable rope toys, washable 100% natural cotton fibers, comes in a reusable bag
Otterly Pets Puppy rope toys are an ideal solution to bring plenty of fun for your small breed dogs.
Best For Large Breed Dogs (Rope Toy): Vitscan Dog Toys
- Durable and sturdy
- Impressive look
- Can't last long under super chewer
This is my story of choosing the wrong size of toy for my dog. I picked up this product for my puppy, and it is too small to lift the toy, so he can't play with it either. However, everything changed when I gave this rope to my bigger dog and got a lot of fun.
Therefore, if you are also looking for outdoor toys for your large breed dogs, I strongly recommend this option. Its 30.5-inch size is even a good fit for an extra-large dog.
|Vitscan Dog Toys Specifications|
30.5 inches long
dental floss rope, machine washable
Vitscan Dog Toys are designed for large and extra-large dogs, not small ones, and super chewers.
Most Versatile (Rope Toy): UPSKY Dog rope toys puppy grinding
- Well made
- Very long-lasting
- Isn't designed for big dogs
The UPSKY dog rope toy is versatile because it comes with 15 toys in a package. Specifically, they include interactive rope toys, puncture-resistant balls, tennis, chew bars, and frisbee.
Although all of them are designed for small and medium dogs, they bring several benefits for aggressive chewers.
These rope toys are useful for cleaning your dog's teeth and massaging gums.
Chewing them every day can relieve stress.
|UPSKY Dog rope toys puppy grinding Specifications|
7.2 inches - 13.8 inches
a set with 15 toys, dental cleaning
If you are the pet owner of several small and medium dogs, buying the UPSKY Dog rope toys puppy grinding set with 15 toys is a worthy investment.
Best For Beginning Chewers (Chew Toy): KONG
- Easy for your puppies to handle
Unlike aggressive chewers with powerful jaws and sharp teeth, the beginning chewers' 28-baby teeth can't use much force to chew a too hard toy.
If you are looking for a suitable chew toy for your puppy, you should consider this KONG product produced from a gentle and unique natural rubber formula.
Although this chew toy is not too hard, creating a significant impact on your dog's teeth, it is made from rubber that is durable enough to last for a long time under regular chewing.
What's more, the unique design of this chew toy allows you to add treats inside. This way is useful to familiarize beginning chewers with chewing.
3.5 x 5.5 x 1.25 inches
fetch toy, food puzzle
KONG chew toy helps any dog that starts to familiarize with chewing because it is durable and gentle.
Best For Aggressive Chewers (Chew Toy): Pet Qwerks Dinosaur BarkBone
- Clean teeth
- Too heavy for medium and small dogs
All aggressive chewers have strong chew strength, requiring tough chew toys like Pet Qwerks Dinosaur BarkBone model. With a weight of 0.44 pounds, this tough and durable model can withstand the heavy chewing capacity of large dogs up to 50 pounds.
|Pet Qwerks Dinosaur BarkBone Specifications|
8.25 x 1.75 x 3 inches
FDA Compliant Nylon
real bacon, Great for your dog's teeth and gums
Pet Qwerks Dinosaur BarkBone is strong and durable enough to put up with large dogs’ heavy chewing.
Best For Mental Stimulation (Chew Toy): WENXUAN Pineapple
- Sweet smell
- Cute looking
- Not too durable
Is your dog bored with his or her toys? If yes, it's time to change a new interactive dog toy like WENXUAN Pineapple that can stimulate the mind of your dog.
This design allows you to hide treats or his favorite objects inside to attract your dog's attention and find out how to work them out.
|WENXUAN Pineapple Specifications|
3.5 x 1.8 x 1.8 inches
non-toxic food grade rubber, solving chewing, separation anxiety, teething, boredom, weight management, crate training, digging, barking
WENXUAN Pineapple Chew toy has a smart design to stimulate your dog’s mind effectively.
How To Choose The Best Outdoor Toy For Dogs?
How is the chewing capacity of your dog?
In case you are raising an aggressive chewer, make sure to buy a toy that can put up with your dog's chewing capacity. If not, you may throw it in the trash after a few times of use.
Which toys are durable?
In the event of a high chewing capacity, you have to pick up an outdoor toy as durable as possible. But, which elements can tell you the durability level of a toy?
You should select an item with double stitching seams, rigid edges, durable nylon or plastic elements, and waterproof coating.
What are the best materials?
The best materials for outdoor dog toys must be safe for your pet. Thus, you had better consider BPA-free plastic material without chemicals, heavy metals.
What elements create a safe outdoor toy for dogs?
First of all, ensure that your outdoor toys don't come with frayed or pulled-apart edges. If not, your lovely dog can swallow his toys. Besides, you don't pick up products with sharp corners that can hurt inside your dog's mouth.
Once bad-quality toys break or chip off into small pieces, your dog will accidentally swallow them.
Finally, say "no" to toys made from toxic materials, no matter how cheap they are.
What are the ideal sizes of dog toys?
Let you compare the toy sizes with the dog sizes to get a good fit. If you make the wrong decision regarding this aspect, your dog can't pick his toys up and move around. A too big toy makes you toss it difficult while your pet can swallow a too-small toy in some cases.
Does your dog love a toy, making sounds or squeak, or a quiet choice?
The answer will depend on your dog's character. For example, timid dogs usually hate noisy toys, while some active dogs enjoy toys making sounds and squeaking.
Should dog toys be waterproof?
Yes. Any outdoor toy for dogs will be exposed to different elements, including water more or less, so the waterproofing feature is one of the key points. The waterproofing layer can protect your dog toys from moisture without molding, so their lifespan can last longer.
How to choose the best outdoor toys for dogs at the appropriate age?
Below are the detailed examples:
- A three-week-old puppy with baby teeth just can chew soft rubber toys.
- A puppy at three - nine months old starts to teeth, so don't choose a hard rubber material.
- You can let your dog play with hard rubber balls, and rope pulls when the teething phase passes. At this stage, your dog's jaw is strong enough to chew this material.
- An over 7-years-old dog has a weaker jaw that is not strong enough to chew something hard. Therefore, I strongly recommend investing in softer toys.
Which Brands Make The Best Outdoor Toy For Dogs?
This is a UK-based pet toy company where it produces and sells fetch-related toys. Chuckit has introduced and loaded the first significant toy in the 1990s. This ChuckIt! Sports Launcher combines a gripping end and a long, plastic wand that can grip a tennis ball.
After the success of this original toy, this company produced a wide range of other fetch-related toys.
Joe Markham established the KONG brand in 1976. This company specializes in manufacturing pet-related products like toys, especially harnesses and toys, which are used with toys. KONG models are famous for high levels of quality and durability.
How do I keep my dog entertained outside?
- Spring pole
- To make this toy, let you connect a spring to a rope hanging from a tree branch. Don't forget to attach a toy or a lure to an end to catch your dog's attention. This is a wonderful method for your dog to play tug of war alone. Playing with a spring pole can help your dog release and burn pent-up energy and build its muscles simultaneously.
- Jolly ball
- Your dog will push and chase this jolly ball around for doing exercise and having fun.
- Chewing activity can help your dog release endorphins to be relaxed and entertained. This way is pretty useful, but don't let your dog chew dangerous things like sticks.
- Kongs and puzzle toys
- Kong and puzzle toys can stimulate bored dogs.
- Digging boxes
- Digging is a popular hobby of most dogs. If you don't want your dog to turn your beautiful garden into a mess just by digging, you had better give it a digging box for playing. At the first time, your pet might not know “what your digging box is.” Don't be worried because you can tell it by putting its toys or bone inside the box.
- It's okay to use soil or sand inside the digging box. Pay attention that sand will be hot when directly connecting to sunlight for a long time. In this case, you can wet it down to keep it cool before using.
- Another hobby of dogs is playing with the water hose, especially in summer. If your dog is one of them, you can try an automatic doggie water fountain that will shoot the water when your dog steps on the pedal.
- A more simple way is to prepare a paddling pool for your dog.
- Automatic ball launchers
- This kind of machine can shoot balls about 10-30 feet, and your dog can chase and fetch them. Your task is training your dog as long as it can return the balls to the model's funnel-shaped opening.
Why does my dog take all her toys outside?
This action happens for some reasons, as follows:
Your dog wants to show off its toys with other pets and humans. You can think that she is trying to tell you, “see, they are my lovely toys.“
Some breeds of dogs take their toys outside because this is a part of their instinct.
In some cases, this might be her experiences in the past because she has been trained.
If you played with your dog and her toys at a specific time of the day, she might determine that it's playtime. So, she takes all her toys outside and waits for you to play with her.
Once your dog is familiar with other pets, she wants to share their toys with them as gifts. But, this doesn't happen regularly.
If your dog just drops her toys outside and runs back inside quickly, this means that she doesn't want to play with them anymore.
What is the most popular dog toy?
Although there are many dog toys, the most popular one is balls.
Can dogs choke on balls?
This only happens if you choose a too small ball with your dog size.
Are rubber toys bad for dogs?
No. But it requires you to know how to choose. Don't choose a flimsy unit that can't withstand your dog's serious chewing.
The best outdoor toys for dogs are useful for not only bringing a lot of fun but also cleaning your dog’s teeth, and so on.